Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tory councillor and Lib Dem council leader in 'gay slur' row


A Conservative councillor in Aberdeen has denied calling the city's gay council leader a "faggot".

Jim Farquharson said he did insult Liberal Democrat council leader John Stewart by calling him a "fascist" and a "fat git" but denied using the homophobic slur.

The row took place after a heated committee meeting and a council official claimed he heard Mr Farquharson make the remark.

Mr Farquharson, who was described by the Sun as "tubby", told the newspaper: "I called him a fat git, not a faggot. If he thought it was homophobic I would definitely apologise to him because there is no way I said that.

"I called him a fascist as I was unhappy with the undemocratic aspects of the committee meeting. I was frustrated because of the way he handled the meeting.

"We were standing there face to face and I was still fuming and I said 'fascist'.

"He sort of walked by me and said 'what did you say?' and I said 'I called you a fat git'."

Mr Stewart, who was part of the second gay couple in Scotland to have a civil partnership in 2005, said on Monday he was "considering all my options" over the alleged incident.

0 comments:

Post a Comment